Vicky Heldreich Durand is the Author of the book Wave Woman: The Life and Struggles of a Surfing Pioneer, which tells the story of her mother, Betty Pembroke Heldreich. Vicky first fell in love with Hawaii at age 12 when she spent a summer with relatives on the island of Moloka’i. Returning home, she talked her mother Betty into a Hawaiian trip the following summer. By the following winter, the adventurous Betty had moved her two young daughters to Honolulu.
Vicky spent her teenage years surfing with her mother. They competed in the annual Makaha International Surfing Championships and were invited to Lima, Peru, to promote women’s surfing. Looking back at Vicky and Betty’s evolving relationship, Betty always told Vicky that every day was an adventure. Never afraid of the difficult challenges ahead, Betty inspired Vicky to take on new challenges and share her mother’s story.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Vicky Heldreich Durand’s inspiration to write a book about her mother, Betty Pembroke Heldreich
- Vicky talks about moving to Moloka’i, Hawaii — and her mother’s career and passion for surfing
- How Vicky was influenced by her mother to start competitive surfing — and how telling Betty’s story has enhanced Vicky’s life
- What drove Vicky to entrepreneurship?
- What Vicky learned from her mother’s courageous spirit
- Andrea Heuston shares one of Betty’s haikus
- Vicky talks about her superpower and where to learn more about her
In this episode…
As poet Betty Pembroke Heldreich wrote, “Life is a journey full of changes and surprises.” We all face various challenges in life which we have to take on courageously. These challenges make us stronger, build our character, and help prepare us for future success.
After moving to Hawaii and becoming a surfer and entrepreneur, Vicky Heldreich Durand learned that the most important thing towards success is to take the first step. She believes that fear is a choice and it is never too late to start doing something new. You have the power to choose courage and follow your dreams.
Vicky Heldreich Durand, an entrepreneur and author, joins Andrea Heuston in this episode of the Lead Like A Woman Show to talk about courageous exploration and creativity. They discuss Vicky’s experience moving from the USA to Hawaii, entrepreneurship, and the lessons Vicky learned from her mother.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Artitudes Design
- Stronger on the Other Side: The Power to Choose by Andrea Heuston
- Wave Woman
- Vicky Heldreich Durand on LinkedIn
- Wave Woman: The Life and Struggles of a Surfing Pioneer by Vicky Heldreich Durand
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Artitudes Design by Andrea Heuston. Artitudes Design is an award-winning creative agency that has been creating visual communication for Fortune 500 companies for over 25 years. They have worked with notable companies such as Microsoft, Starbucks, Expedia, and have also served startups and nonprofit organizations.
They specialize in connecting speakers with audiences by creating visual value with presentations and through the creation of motion graphics, video, and content.
To learn more about Artitudes Design, visit their website today. Checkout their portfolio to see their previous projects, and contact them today to find out how they can help you bring your business a cut above the rest.