Stephanie Sims is a capital strategist, startup advisor, and the Founder of Finance-Ability, where she helps founders build economic stories that make dollars and cents. After nearly a decade in investment banking and having worked with the likes of Goldman, Lehman and CSFB on over $5 billion of transactions, Stephanie rode the high tech startup rollercoaster in Europe, complete with angels, venture capitalists, and the coveted exit to a publicly traded company.
Stephanie has educated and mentored hundreds of entrepreneurs across three continents and has helped her clients raise over $30 million dollars in early stage capital. She is frequently asked to judge startup competitions and to speak about venture capital, angel investment and alternative sources of funding.
Stephanie is also the host of the “What’s Your Ask Podcast‘, where she talks to investors and entrepreneurs about the different ways they’ve asked and been asked for money, references, introductions, and more.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Stephanie Sims explains why she started Finance-Ability and how she helps small businesses with their finances, getting funding, and telling their stories
- Stephanie recalls her entrepreneurial journey and shares some of the projects she is currently working on
- Current shifts in women founders seeking venture capital funding and how the COVID-19 pandemic has aided that
- Stephanie’s advice to women who are looking for venture capital funding
- Why Stephanie wrote Funding Your Business Without Selling Your Soul and who her target audience was
- Stephanie talks about the difference between owning her own firm versus working for a large investment company
- What Stephanie loves about her work and why she’s excited about her business being an investment opportunity for others
- Stephanie discusses the importance of taking the next step in your plan and her advice to women who are struggling to do just that
- Stephanie explains why her superpower is being the finder of lost things
In this episode…
Without a doubt, the COVID-19 pandemic has had a big impact on many people’s lives, especially on women in business. They’ve been forced to work from home and juggle business with motherhood. However, these circumstances could provide a good opportunity for women to figure out what their businesses actually need.
At this time of limited movements and interactions, it is important for women entrepreneurs to take advantage of the situation, sit down and get clear on what you want. You need to remember what got you excited about your work in the early days of your business and find out what gives you joy right now. This way, it will be easier to figure out what works well for you and use that to improve both your personal and professional life.
Stephanie Sims, the Founder of Finance-Ability, is Andrea Heuston’s guest in this week’s episode of the Lead Like a Woman Show where she shares her expertise on entrepreneurial finance and venture funding. She also talks about her own entrepreneurial journey that led to the founding of Finance-Ability and her work with organizations that serve startup founders. Stay tuned.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Artitudes Design by Andrea Heuston. Artitudes Design is an award-winning creative agency that has been creating visual communication for Fortune 500 companies for over 25 years. They have worked with notable companies such as Microsoft, Starbucks, Expedia, and have also served startups and nonprofit organizations.
They specialize in connecting speakers with audiences by creating visual value with presentations and through the creation of motion graphics, video, and content.
To learn more about Artitudes Design, visit their website today. Checkout their portfolio to see their previous projects, and contact them today to find out how they can help you bring your business a cut above the rest.